All players' registration fees are being raised to $110 this season to reflect the growing cost of equipment and umpire fees associated with teams at all levels. In an effort to provide the best possible experience for all players, we will be working to upgrade our field equipment and build batting cages at many of our fields over the next two years.
Lehigh Valley League (LVL), including Junior Legion (JL), Senior Legion (SL) and Connie Mack (CM)-These teams will be selected during several tryout sessions that will be scheduled for mid to late March. All players will receive uniforms including shirts, hats and pants.
Parkland League American League (PYL-AL)-All players who wish to compete at the more competitive American League Level must attend the tryouts for the Lehigh Valley League. There may be additional tryouts for the Parkland League after the Lehigh Valley League teams have been selected, butonly players attending the LVL tryouts will be considered for the Parkland League AL Teams.The majority of the tryouts for both teams will run simultaneously. Players in the Parkland League will receive uniforms that include a shirt and hat.
Parkland League National League (PYL-NL)-Players at the National League Level will be selected by a draft process following a coaches clinic*. All players who are not selected for the Lehigh Valley League or Parkland AL teams will play in the Parkland League at the National League level. Players in the Parkland League will receive uniforms that include a shirt and hat. *Players MUST attend the coaches clinic in order to be drafted by a coach. Players who do not attend the clinic will still be placed on a team, but these players will be placed on a team through a RANDOM draw. PLEASE NOTE that players who have been selected for LVL and PYL-AL teams, as well as players who have been protected by coaches, DO NOT attend the coaches clinic. Coaches will receive additional instructions regarding protecting players.
Please note that pants will no longer be provided at most levels due to increasing costs and the difficulty of purchasing baseball pants for players of various sizes. LVL teams and PYL-AL teams will wear gray pants. Coaches at the PYL-NL level will decide whether their teams will wear gray or white pants.
TEAM SELECTION INFORMATION
South Parkland Youth Association takes pride in its players, parents, families, and volunteers, including the many coaches. Speaking on behalf of South Parkland Baseball, we appreciate the support and commitment of all our members throughout our in-house, recreational, and travel baseball programs.
Because baseball is a team sport, it requires a commitment from all involved. We expect this commitment at all levels of baseball, be it our in-house, recreational, or travel programs. All players will be expected to make coaches aware during the tryout process any dates they will be unavailable so coaches can decide on a case by case basis if a player should be selected and the number of players that should be rostered for a team. It will be at the discretion of each coach to decide if a player will be rostered who may miss time during the season.
2. We plan to adhere to the scheduled dates and times as posted (barring any unforeseen circumstances), but there may well be changes in location based on weather and field conditions. PLEASE CHECK THE WEBSITE FREQUENTLY FOR ANY CHANGES AND/OR UPDATES. In an effort to give coaches the opportunity to see all players abilities, the majority of the tryouts will be outside.
3. Tryout sessions will be posted by age, not by specific teams.
4. Players must attend all posted sessions at their age level. If an extraordinary situation arises where a player is unable to attend a posted session, PLEASE EMAIL ME IMMEDIATELY at BASEBALL@SPYA.ORG.
1. Players will be evaluated by a group of individuals that includes the head coach, head coaches from other travel levels, and/or other individuals with no child trying out for the team.
2. Players will be given Number Tags to wear front and back during the sessions (NUMBER TAGS MUST BE RETURNED AT THE END OF EACH SESSION).
3. Information will be posted on the website after each tryout session with instructions for the following sessions (e.g., “All Players should return to the next session”; “The following players should return to the next session”, etc.)
HIGH SCHOOL PLAYERS
1. High school players who are trying out for their school team, depending upon the rules of the high school the player attends, may or may not be allowed to attend the South Parkland tryout sessions.
2. High school players who are registered for South Parkland and are unable to attend the South Parkland tryouts are automatically rostered on one of our LVL teams if they make their high school junior varsity or varsity team.
a. The decision as to which team a junior varsity or varsity player will be placed on will be made by the Junior Legion, Connie Mack, and Senior Legion head coaches, in conjunction with the Baseball Commissioner, and will be based on multiple factors.
b. Junior varsity and varsity players will join their respective South Parkland teams as soon as the high school seasons have ended, and will make the same commitment to their South Parkland teams as are made by the players at the younger Lehigh Valley League levels.
For the benefit of all the SPYA kids who are playing baseball this spring, ALL families must either volunteer for 5 or more hours OR pay an additional $50 in place of volunteering.
*SPYA Baseball policy only allows a child to "play-up" a level under specific circumstances and with the approval of the baseball commissioner. Any player requesting to play-up must have an in-season birth date (May-June-July), must have a recommendation from a previous coach, and must have previously played for SPYA. For developmental and safety reasons, no child will be considered without meeting these requirements.
Following the highly successful hitting and power training clinic held in December, South Parkland Baseball is again teaming up with sports and fitness trainer Chad Waelchli to provide a February Baseball Specific Performance Training Camp (please see details below).
In order to participate, players must first register through the South Parkland Baseball website using the REGISTER NOW button to the right.
Players will then complete the clinic information being emailed to all South Parkland families, and then send the registration materials and camp registration fee ($85.00 or $125.00, depending upon age) to Chad Waelchli at the address listed below.
CW Fitness Inc./SPYA Baseball Specific Performance Training8 Session Camp, Plus Testing
CW Fitness Inc. will be holding an 8-week sports performance training program on Sunday mornings starting January 21, 2018 through March 18, 2018 (off day March 11)at Grange Park. Chad Waelchli, CW Fitness owner and Head Sports Performance Coach for Parkland High School’s Baseball Program, will be instructing proper, scientifically researched, training modules to improve all facets of movement, speed, and power training for baseball performance. On March 18, 2018 each athlete will go through a baseball specific testing combine and will receive a CW Fitness certificate of authenticity stating the date and testing results for each athlete.
1. Proper mechanics for running and movement
2. Acceleration, first step quickness, and maximum speed
3. Agility training and footwork
4. Power training (Plyometrics)
5. Core and balance training
7. Proper warm up and cool down technique
Performance Testing Combine and Certification:
1. Vertical Jump (measures explosive power)
2. Rotational Medicine Ball Toss (6lb) L/R (measures rotational power)
3. 30 yard Dash (measures linear speed)
4. Pro Agility Drill (5-10-5) (measures the athletes ability to accelerate, decelerate, and change directions safely and efficiently)
5. Ball off Bat Velocity Station (Using a Hitting Tee)
Director: Chad Waelchli (CW Fitness Inc.)
Location: Grange Park Building
Dates: Sundays January 21, 2018- March 18, 2018
**** Off March 11
Time: 9am-10:00am Youth Group (Ages 7-11), Minimum 8 per group, Max 16
10:00am-11:30pm Mid/high School Group(Ages 12-16), Minimum 8 per group, Max 16
*Players must attend tryouts to be selected for the Lehigh Valley League (LVL) Teams
**The Parkland Youth League (PYL) is divided into 2 levels. The more competitive level (American League - AL) requires players to try out. The less competitive level (National League - NL) DOES NOT require players to tryout.
The Mission of the South Parkland Baseball Program is to make available within the community of Parkland an effectively organized and implemented youth baseball program in which each participant can obtain a positive, competitive, and rewarding developmental and participatory experience in the game of baseball.